CalRes Advantage Health N Wellness…Tip #7 Healthy snacks!!!!
Packaged and prepared beforehand Or Raw, and/or cook and prepared beforehand
TIP 1. Size of a snack between 150-250 cal or 10-15% of your Caloric Energy Equation or TDEE
NOT a DOUBLE BEEF Hamburger that equals ALL of your TDEE
TIP 2. Try to eat it before YOU get hungry…about 2.5-3 after your last feeding!
- 43 % of North Americans live on 1 meal /day!
- 31 Million Americans miss breakfast!
- 34 of children eat some type of fast food every day!
TIP 3. Be prepared, plan your snacks out the night or day before!
TIP 4. Try to keep your sodium under 200-250mg/snack/feeding
- US dietary guidelines recommend 1500 milligrams/day for ages 9-50…
- Younger children 1000-1200 milligrams
- Hypertension Canada, recently increased the upper limit to 2000 milligrams/day!!!
- University of Alberta internal medicine specialist says most Sodium comes from PROCESSED FOODS!
Tip 5. Keep sugar exposure as reasonable as possible…5-15 grams. Aim for a 1:1 PRO to CHO ratio!
- Size: 100 grams
- Calories: 33 grams of Sugar
- FAT: 16g
Total CHO: 54g
Tip 6: CHOOSE RAW whenever possible!
However if you are forced to eat a packaged SNACK, Try to combine the best of both worlds…